Iowa team classifications are based on Iowa USSSA Fastpitch program and not nationally.
New Season Classification Guidelines
Below is the guidelines as to where you should begin the new Season.
If you are staying in the same age bracket (9U to 10U, 11U to 12U, 13U to 14U, and 15U to 16 is considered the same age bracket), these are the starting criteria for your classification:
If you were a C team the previous year, you must begin in B or higher.
If you were a B team the previous year, you must begin in A.
If you are moving up an age bracket these are the starting criteria for your classification:
If you were C team the previous year, you may begin in Class C.
If you were a B team the previous year, you must begin in B.
If you were an A team the previous year, you must begin in A.
In the event that your team does not remain intact and has turnover:
If you return 6 players from the previous season, you are subject to begin where your classification dictates.
If you return 5 or less, then you will be subject to begin in a classification based upon the players previous team.
Team classifications are based on power ratings, tournament results and by overall team performance on the field. Team classifications will be reviewed throughout the season to ensure we have teams in the appropriate class of play. Please note that teams may be reclassified at any time by the Play It Forward Sportz State Office.
Classification Guidelines: If ANY of the below benchmarks are met by your team, there is a strong chance your team will be moved up or down to the next higher/lower classification.
Criteria to Move Up: (A minimum of 8 scored games)
· If your team accumulates an 1,100 power ranking or higher - team should, at a minimum be on a watch list
· If your team accumulates a power ranking of 1,275+ - team should have valid justification to not be promoted to next level
· If your team's in class record is .700 or higher
· If your team has finished 1st or 2nd in 3 of 5 most recent events (Number of teams in the the event is considered)
· If your team has an in class run differential of 5 or more
· If your team is playing in 2-3 consecutive tournaments at a higher class, team likely views itself at a higher level
Criteria to Move Down: (A minimum of 8 scored games)
· If your team has a power ranking of 400 or less
· If your team's in class record is .300 or less
· If your team has a run differential of -4 or more
Odd Year Teams:
· The State Office reserves the right to mandate an odd aged team not play in B divisions even when playin up in age if that team exceeds the quality of teams in the B division.
· Currently this is a manual process. The State Director will notify the team, based on their performance, they are no eligible to play in B events. For example, a 13 Open team that is 24-2 with a run differential of + 5 against 14B teams would be a better fit at 14A